Despite its close proximity to the Gold Coast’s glitzy, fast-paced cityscape, Rivermead’s surrounding luscious hinterland exudes a relaxing change of pace. Tranquil mountain views, bountiful ancient rainforests, award-winning wineries and endless Gold Coast experiences perfect for families, couples and groups of any kind.
Rivermead Estate’s Home – The Emerald City
Nestled within the iconic Scenic Rim, Rivermead Estate is located a mere 30-minute drive from the Gold Coast’s heart, yet you’ll feel lightyears away. Indulge in hinterland dining experiences, immerse yourself in The Arts or adventure through breathtaking forest walks, scattered with idyllic waterfalls and native Australian fauna.
Here’s your hand-picked selection of Gold Coast experiences to try for yourself on your next visit – located within half an hour’s drive from Rivermead Estate.
Dining in the Gold Coast Hinterland
As well as offering a wide array of catering options at Rivermead, our homestead is also surrounded by a selection of decadent dining locations. Here’s a selection of those we highly recommend, all within a 30-minute drive from our luxe haven.
- Vue 175 – Enjoy a birds-eye view of the Gold Coast from Vue’s 360º balcony. We also recommend opting for Vue’s fine dining degustation with wine pairings.
- The Fox and Hound – Cozy up by the fire at this original English Country Inn, with all the trimmings.
- Clancy’s Irish Pub – This authentic Irish Pub is voted as having the best Guinness Pie in the whole of Queensland.
- St Bernards Hotel – A Gold Coast relic (built in 1898), enjoy views of Guanaba Gorge from the terrace.
- The Old Church – Charming, quaint and headed by fine dining chef, Andrew Quarantini who’s spent 26 years refining his craft – a foodies dream
Our Surrounding Wineries and Breweries
Our diverse region is home to many of the Gold Coast’s highly renowned wineries and even a selection of local breweries. All located just a short drive from Rivermead Estate, allow us to transport you to and from tastings with our convenient concierge service.
- Witches Falls Winery – Take part in guided wine tastings, DIY cheeseboard building or even join Witches Falls exclusive wine club, reserved for esteemed visitors and guests.
- O’Reilly’s Canungra Valley Vineyards – Enjoy multi-award winning local wines, have gourmet picnic hampers delivered straight to you while you laze by the picturesque Canungra Creek or visit the friendly vineyard alpacas.
- Tambourine Mountain Brewery – Boasting 15 taps of beers brewed onsite, we recommend trying a little bit of everything, with a beer paddle. Then teaming the lot with treats from neighbouring Witches Chase Cheese Company for grazing excellence.
- Madocke Beer Brewing Company – Specialising in Belgian Style beers, visit the Madocke beer house Fridays 2 pm ‘til 6 pm and taste your way around six flavourful beverages
Subtropical Bushwalking and Waterfall Tracks to Explore
For the adventurous at heart, exploring the Gold Coast hinterland’s lush subtropical rainforests is an absolute must. Often referred to as South East Queensland’s best-kept secret, Rivermead’s surrounding mountainous region offers awe-inspiring sights, breathtaking scenery and endless opportunities for excitement within the great outdoors.
- Cedar Creek Falls – Situated within a hidden natural rock amphitheatre, these majestic falls are a mere 27 minutes from Rivermead Estate – framed by towering white cedar Trees and scattered with wild orchids.
- Tamborine Mountain Botanical Gardens – From short walks through Japanese-inspired greenery to shaded pavilions and lakeside picnics. Tambourine Mountain’s own series of gardens, rainforest walks and wildlife are one of the Gold Coast experiences you must try on your next visit.
- Springbrook National Park – Set amidst an ancient volcanic landscape, Springbrook’s vast National Park is renowned for its expansive Eucalyptus forests, magical rock pools and rare bird life.
- Natural Bridge – The widely popular Natural Bridge is a true highlight of the Australian World Heritage Area, Gondwana Rainforests. Marvel at this glorious rock arch created by waterfall streams atop the basalt cave. A welcomed reward during the one-kilometre hike.
- SkyWalk – Explore the highest points of Mount Tambourine’s rainforest canopies from Skywalk’s floating walkways suspended above the forest terrain. Bring your binoculars for a truly one of a kind Gold Coast experience of the hinterland.
Theme and Adventure Parks
Rivermead Estate’s slow-paced haven is also close to escapes of a different kind – adrenaline-pumping adventures. Rivermead is located within the Gold Coast’s Golden Circle, and neighbours high-profile filming locations such as Village Roadshow Studios and a short 20-minute drive from popular theme parks. Perfect for those travelling for work and pleasure.
- Movieworld – Known as one of the more thrilling Gold Coast experiences, enjoy film-themed stage shows, roller coasters and entertainment for all ages.
- Wet’n’Wild – If you’re visiting the Gold Coast during the warmer months, then a trip to nearby Wet’n’Wild is perfect for families and kids at heart, check out Australia’s #1 water park on your next visit.
- Dreamworld – The biggest theme park on the Gold Coast offers a wide variety of fun activities. Pat tigers, ride the infamous Giant Drop and catch live shows all year long.
- Thunderbird Adventure Park – Flying through canyons, playing games of putt putt, fossicking for eggs and even laser skirmish. Choose your own adventure at this exhilarating park.
Interesting Things To Do In The Hinterland
Our hinterland home interweaves a rich tapestry of dining, wining and adventuring options. We’re also home to one-of-a-kind Gold Coast experiences that you might not expect. On your next visit to ‘the Green behind the Gold,’ try something new from our recommendations below.
- Opera Eagle Nest – Homing a luxurious multi-tiered theatre space draping in burgundy velvet, Opera Eagle Nest hosts impeccable stage shows, performances and operatic showcases like no other.
- Twilight Glow Worm and 4WD Tours – As well as being an artisan hub, Mount Tamborine is scattered with dazzling glow worm caves. 4WDing tours teamed with glow worm cave viewing has to be one of the more unique Gold Coast experiences, and worth considering for your next visit.
- Arthur Hamblin Art Gallery – Showcasing a selection of works from ‘the father of Australian Outback Art,’ view exclusive Hamblin pieces in the heart of North Tamborine.
- Vintage Thrift Finds – Mount Tamborine’s eclectic main street is lined with fudge stores, ice cream parlours and a selection of antique boutiques. Discover vintage collectables and old worldly pieces during your next stay.
- Local Produce Markets – Surrounded by nurtured farmlands, nearby Tamborine Mountain offers three types of local markets for arts, crafts, produce and more – all year round.
At Rivermead Estate, we’re surrounded by a wide range of high calibre Gold Coast experiences to enrich your next visit to the hinterland. Contact us today to book your next stay with Rivermead.